Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Warhammer Online

I'm not a big MMO fan. The concept doesn't turn me off, but the execution often does. Also it has been my experience that a large enough number of very vocal players easily ruin the whole experience.
Dark Age of Camelot had me for a little while. I still love City of Heroes / Villains, though I didn't play it that much and haven't touched it in years. No other MMO (and I tried most of the ones up to maybe a few years ago) kept me interested for more than a couple weeks. I've never even seriously considered WoW.

Now, however, Warhammer emerges. The miniatures game system that Blizzard "copied" with Warcraft. And from what I've read and seen so far, Warhammer Online might be something I want to try. I loved the Realm Vs. Realm concept from Dark Age, and Mythic is behind that game as well as Warhammer.

Mainly, though, there is one feature that grabs my attention. City of Heroes, for example, gave us the spawning mission zone - when you entered a door to go into your mission (whether you, singular, or you, your party) no one else could follow. No other players could mess with your mission! This was great, and many games have copied this since - but it does pull away from being part of something larger. Enter PUBLIC QUESTS. These are mutli-stage Player Vs Environment events that spawn often and allows all players, even solo players, to engage in part of something larger with their "realm mates" without needing to find a group of players specifically to hang out with!

Combine PQ's with the whole expanded and refined Realm vs. Realm concepts of Warhammer Online, and I'm actually mildly excited for the first time in years over an MMO.

Anyone else interested?

No comments: