Thursday, April 23, 2009

Concerns on XP

It has been brought to my attention via more than one source that there is some concern about the distribution of XP - namely that those with jobs will gain a growing permanent lead on those without jobs.

I have a few things to say in response:
1 - I am watching the XP difference, and won't let things get out of hand. A character being a level or even two ahead of the party shouldn't be an issue, but a 3-4 level range difference in the party would be. I won't let that happen.
2 - Doing extra work during the game needs to have some benefit.
3 - It is my intention to have enough optional extra jobs possible that everyone who wants extra XP can gain it. I will unveil new jobs as soon as they are ready.
4 - If you don't care that much about XP and only want to enjoy the role-playing you shouldn't have to take on an extra responsibility, hence why no person is mandated to have an extra job.
5 - The jobs themselves help alleviate some of the work from me, the DM, but also helps keep players involved in the game even when their characters are not directly active in a given scene.

Also, understand that I personally have a concern that the party will level too fast with all the XP I am giving, but I am trying to balance that with a sense from some players of "I don't want to be level one again!"

To conclude, I am aware of the concern and I am monitoring it. More job options will be available soon. And I have my own concerns about extra XP.

No comments: